Staff Counselor: Village Weekends
Village Weekends are available at different times throughout the academic year, from October to May. No Village Weekends are held during the summer; however, we do have summer positions in our summer camps. We encourage you to read our staff policy statement before applying.
• Target language skills
• Experience with young people
• Skills in related cultural/recreational areas
General Expectations of all Positions
1. Be familiar with and abide by specific policies set forth in the policy statement [link to 7.2].
2. Be advised that the entire staff of each Village is under direction of and is responsible to the dean.
3. Assist with setting up village and/or preparing for the program.
4. Speak the target language with villagers and staff members as much as possible.
5. Model standards for behavior and be sensitive to the health and welfare of the villagers.
Essential Abilities Needed
1. Ability to assist villagers in emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury).
2. Strength and endurance to maintain constant supervision of villagers.
3. Ability to observe villager behavior, assess its appropriateness and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
4. Possess visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to participants.
Responsibilities of Position
1. Work under direction of dean, intern and/or designated counselor as part of counseling team.
2. Assume counseling duties for individual house/cabin and other appropriate small groups.
3. Participate in, lead and/or teach language and culture in all village activities.
4. Manage villager groups to promote safety, minimize injury/illness and meet developmental needs.
5. Create a safe environment in which participants feel accepted by staff and peers.
6. Motivate villagers to participate actively in the target language and culture.
Apply online to be a Village Weekends counselor.